July 3, 2014, 2:34 p.m. EDT
PNC Bank Offers Hurricane Preparedness Tips
Beyond personal safety, prepare and protect your finances in the event of an emergency.
To better prepare, PNC suggests the following:
1. Personal Safety is Paramount : Create a thorough emergency plan including emergency supplies, evacuation routes, communications plans, personal property preparations and more. Municipal agencies can provide guidance to create and follow a comprehensive personal disaster preparedness plan.
2. Cash on Hand: In case power goes out and ATMs are not working, be sure to have some cash available in addition to debit and credit cards as well as personal checks.
3. Consider a Reloadable Debit Card: Augment your cash with a prepaid reloadable debit card for safe, convenient access to your money. You can use the card to make purchases, pay bills and even get additional cash at the ATM.
4. Register for Mobile Banking: When the power goes out, your smartphone can be used for banking as well as communicating. Your phone can access your account, monitor transactions, pay bills and use a bank ATM locator app to find a nearby ATM.
5. Follow Your Bank on Social Media: Status updates are available via Facebook and Twitter, which serve as real-time communication tools in the event of a natural disaster. By visiting PNC’s Update Center , customers can view important information in the event of an online banking disruption or emergency.
6. Fill Your Gas Tank: Given the possibility of long lines at the pump after a disaster, filling your tank in advance is a good idea. That full tank can also come in handy in case of a power outage where your car may be the only way to charge a smartphone or laptop, allowing you to access mobile banking and other online services.
7. Scan and Store Important Documents in a Safe Place: Make duplicates of all your important documents. Back up your electronic files and keep personal documents, i.e., identification and insurance policies, in a safe place separate from your home. Consider using water-proof and portable containers.
8. Listen to Authorities: Adhere to guidance associated with weather watches, warnings and the advice of authorities. Take all necessary steps to help ensure the safety of you and your family.
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (www.pnc.com) is one of the United States’ largest diversified financial services organizations, providing retail and business banking; residential mortgage banking; specialized services for corporations and government entities, including corporate banking, real estate finance and asset-based lending; wealth management and asset management.
CONTACT: Timothy Stokes 412-762-0278 email@example.com
SOURCE PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Copyright (C) 2014 PR Newswire. All rights reserved